Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Therapy

So, I've been seeing a therapist lately named Becket. And, let me just say, she's pretty much the best therapist or counselor I've ever spoken to.
Mr. R gave me an intern to talk to in 8th grade named Susan Bloom. She would take me out of one class period, and sit with me in awkward silence while she occasionally asked me open questions that had nothing to do with my actual problems. Mr. R himself, when I went to see him, refused to let me stop seeing her because he thought I was too immature to make the decision that she didn't help me.
Then there was Alice. I liked her well enough, but she didn't address my issues as well as she could have. She was a good person to talk to, but she failed to give me the advice I really needed.
Ms. Lenard is nice, too, and actually gives me advice, so she's pretty much the second-best. The only real difference between her and Becket is that I don't have a definite connection to her.
Becket is great for me, though. She listens to me when I talk about my anxiety attack triggers, and actually asks me what they feel like to me, and what they might look like to someone else. When she thinks she understands something, she paraphrases it to summarize, and then asks me if what she said sounded right to me. It usually does. And she seems to be genuinely interested in the different quirks about me, like what my rules are for walking on the tiles in the school hallways (who *doesn't* have rules for how to walk on their tiles?).
I'm going to be seeing her again tomorrow, which I'm fairly excited about. It took us two days to understand my anxiety attacks (though we're not sure what's happening in my brain to cause them, we know all the triggers and symptoms that have shown themselves), and now we can get down to other things, like her suggestions for preventing them, or perhaps some of my more emotional troubles that I need her help with. So, after school tomorrow, I'll say how it went! Ciao~

No comments:

Post a Comment